These are the resources listed in the “beginnings” portion of the Healthful Lifestyle presentation from HC103.
- Lifehacker: How To Ditch your Junk Food-Filled Pantry, and Reboot Your Diet
- Grocery List Templates for Healthy People
- Whole Foods Market: Health Starts Here
Charity Training Programs:
- Team To End AIDS – marathon, half-marathon, cycling, triathlon
- Team In Training – marathon, half-marathon, triathlon
- Team PAWS – marathon, half-marathon, triathlon
- Team World Vision – marathon
- American Cancer Society DetermiNation – Shamrock Shuffle, marathon, half-marathon
- Shamrock Shuffle – 8k (5 mile) run, March
- Avon Walk – Walk a marathon (26.2 miles), or a marathon and a half (39.3 miles) in 2 days, June.
- Bike the Drive – Bike 15 or 30 miles on Lake Shore Drive, May.
- RAGBRAI – Cycle 470 miles across Iowa in 7 days, July.
- Illinois Tour de Donut – Cycle 30ish miles in Staunton, IL (near St Louis), July.
- Chicago Triathlon – Swim/Bike/Run .5 mi/13 mi/3.1 mi or .9 mi/25 mi/6.2 mi, August.
- Apple Cider Century – Cycle 5, 25, 37, 50, 62, 75 or 100 miles in Michigan, September.
- Chicago Marathon – Run 26.2 miles in under 7 hours, October.
- Slow Fat Triathlete: Live Your Athletic Dreams in the Body You Have Now, by Jayne Williams
- The Non-Runner’s Marathon Trainer, by David A. Whitsett, Forrest A. Dolgener, and Tanjala Mabol Kole
- Ride Your Way Lean: The Ultimate Plan for Burning Fat and Getting Fit on a Bike, by Selene Yeager
- Active.com – Articles and signups for races and team sports nationwide
- Chicago Park District – sign up for classes and sports programs
- Chicago Area Runners Association – learn to run and take training programs, city and suburbs
- Beginner Triathlete
- The Couch to 5k Running Plan – go from not running at all to running a 5k with this complete plan
- Mayo Clinic: 5 Steps to Getting Started